Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Still haven't wiped my hard drive. I've backed up everything, exported and saved all important stuff from the browsers and OE and I am ready. But my husband isn't. He keeps worrying over all the work the reinstalling will be.

The reinstalling I will do.

Frankly, internet problems aside we're working with an 18 month old XP install and I'm a firm believer that a fresh install every once in awhile is a good thing. Especially now that I've done all the frigging work. My only regret is that I'll be reinstalling from my Compaq's recovery partition and that holds all kinds of steaming Compaq crap that will then have to be weeded out and stomped to death. My Queendom for XP install CDs!

Anyhow, enough of the whining.

We've sort of left off school for the summer now. I want to do a few drills once a week to keep what Catherine's learned fresh but we'll see how that goes. She's in a frantic race to finish the freeplay mode in Lego Star Wars II before her father does and I understand that's quite a bit more important then math drills at the moment.

2 comments:

Greg Laden said...

Now is your chance .... consider Linux!

Linux users never have to "wipe their drive." It just does not need to happen, because Linux and the software that runs on it is simply very well behaved.

Think of it this way:

Microsoft, in so many meaningful and tangible ways, = Government Run Public Education And Stuff.

Linux and OpenSource Software, in so many meaningful and tangible ways, = Freedom of choice, freedom of thought, freedom from the very real conspiracy to take your stuff and control you.

Yes, OpenSource is a little more work, but not as much as most people think (because most people's perception is based on history, not the present or the future, and yes, it was too much work, say, one or two years ago).

Dawn said...

But what about games? That's really the only thing holding me back.