Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Common Room's Response

The Common Room lady responded to my invitation:

Step into my parlour said the spider to the fly....

I went. I was going to make a comment, and then I saw that you and your friends had already decided what I thought, and why and where I was coming from, pretty much erroneously in every case. There doesn't seem much point in attempting to dialog in such circumstances.


Okay. I get it now. I really do (honestly Doc). It's not discussion she wanted. It was the soapbox. It was the 'Preach it sister!' comments. When confronted with a challenge, even a polite one, the challenger gets cast as a deceiptful predator and the challenged as a victim who never had a fair chance to begin with. If I'd been smarter I would have realized she was drive-by posting and never actually was interested in exploring the issue.

It's been a theme since the beginning of this. Complaints about the rules? Cast the complainers as anti-family friendly and delete discussion. Sore about having ethical shortcomings pointed out? Cast the pointer as a loser and yourself as the victim.

It's all sleight of hand. Don't look down here where I did indeed clarify the rules or did finally notice the ethical problem or wrote a post I'm unwilling to defend. Look up here where I'm being hunted by a spider. Oooh! It's getting closer!

So I get it. Lesson learned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.

I believe you made every effort to be supportive and diplomatic to both sides.

The middle ground is so narrow that not many will fit on it as the same time. Some of us never do.

Dawn said...

Bah! Don't be sorry. Now I know exactly where I am and I'll stop the silly outreach efforts.

I just didn't realize there was such a firm and homogenous mindset amongst them.