Monday, December 3, 2007

Zooming Through Key To Decimals

I was a little taken aback last week when Catherine seemed confused by decimals. We've never formally covered them. We've encountered them in real life but sometimes that's like gathering up the ingredients but not having the recipe. Catherine might have the baking soda, flour, salt, etc. but not be sure of how they need to mixed together to make tea biscuits. I had Key to Decimals sitting on my hard drive so I decided that would be our recipe book.

Our first day Catherine did the first 10 pages of the first book. Today she did another 8. At this rate we'll be through book 1 by the end of the week! Best of all she's enjoying it and understanding it all. I think, as I alluded to in the first paragraph, she's had all the pieces but just needed a little structure to put them in order.

We'll probably go back to Singapore for awhile after Key to Decimals book 1 and then do book 2 some time in the New Year. 3 and 4 will likely wait however until we go back and finish the Key to Fraction books. However we go about it I'm darn happy that I can say we're both enjoying this.

4 comments:

momofmhasr said...

Hello to you! Are you ready for all of this snow? Hope to hear from you soon.~Michelle C

Dawn said...

Email sent!

We're getting ready for hot chocolate and christmas stories tonight. All this snow is finally putting me in the Christmas mood!

Anonymous said...

Dear Dawn,
Just came across your site. It looks like you've copied down my homeschool curriculum list, we have alot of similiar choices! (I'm also a libra). I love Singapore Math, did you know they have quite good Science books to?
Chat later!
From deepest Mississippi
Aussie Kim
http://www.homeschoolersavvy.typepad.com

Dawn said...

I've actually been thinking of ordering their science stuff for the new year! I'd sworn off science curriculum but my daughter has expressed some interest in finding one lately so I think we might tri I-Science from the Singapore site.

Wonder if there's something about us Libra homeschoolers and Singapore materials? :D