Sunday, January 6, 2008

Geometry Help Needed

In all our talks about shapes recently I've come to realize that Catherine isn't quite getting the idea of 2D and 3D. I've explained it a few times in a few different ways but it hasn't sunk in.

I have an idea for an animation that might help but I don't know the first thing about how to make it. First an x axis would be drawn, then a y axis. Then a point would appear on the graph with brief lines to show how the points relates to the two axis. Then another and another. The three points would be connected by line segments and then the graph would turn, changing from a face-on view to a diagonal one.

Then either:
- Some animated thing would appear that would attach to graph and pull thus creating a prism. Then another axis would appear to represent that.

Or:
- Another mirror image graph would float behind the original and lines would appear that connect all the corresponding dots to form a prism. Then another axis would appear to represent the new dimension.

If anyone knows of an animation like this I'd like to see it. If anyone knows of a program I could use to whip that up I'd appreciate that as well. I can probably get the idea across without the animation but it would be a help.

EDIT: My husband gave it a shot and seems to think he's got Catherine understanding it. Still, I think I'd really like to do the animation anyway if only for the geeky satisfaction of doing it. Plus, it would come in handy when we do some graphing.

No comments: