Thursday, March 20, 2008

Do Other People Do this?

In my "8 things" post I said that:

I wear a headscarf (an honest-to-goodness headscarf) most days. It's much easier than doing my hear and I get treated so well by people when I go out.


I meant to write hair. Honest I did. The problem is that I have this glitch where I seem to start writing a word and after the first letter or two my brain goes on autopilot and substitutes another word. I can start writing, "medicine," and will end up with, "mediocre." It seems to happen quite a bit with homophones for some reason but is most embarrassing when it makes it look as if I can't spell or don't know the difference between there and their.

So am I alone in this?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the post and didn't even notice! That's probably not a good sign, is it?

Heather said...

You're not the only one. My fingers are so fluent at typing that I frequently substitute "think" for "thing".. it's always words that start with the same few letters. I think the worst is that they ARE words, so spellcheck doesn't catch them. My "spacing" thumb gets a little out of control sometimes too - an dI star ttypin glik ethis. I've started re-reading my posts several times before posting, just to catch those little mistakes.

Dawn said...

I do the spacing thing to!

molytail said...

Oh I've done it myself as well, I bet most of us have. ;-)

Also, I never even saw it there! I think it's like that old test with the sign and the extra 'the' that people never seem to spot.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes...but then my posts are probably evidence of that. I do try to catch those little mistakes, but it is usually a day or two before I notice them. Bad me...I can't proofread my own writing because I already know what it says. And it persists in saying just that, even when it really doesn't. : (

Noodle said...

I do the same thing! Most often it's with "thing" (typing "think") and "with" (typing "withe").

Anonymous said...

So this would be the right time to ask if you really meant to put "intellilect" in your left sidebar? It leaves me pondering every time I see it. I've even googled it, and yes people do use it, but it still leaves me pondering...

Dawn said...

Um...ah...Whatever do you mean Lorraine? It clearly says intellect doesn't it?

Now anyway?

:D

Anonymous said...

LOL, why yes it does. Will you look at that... amazing. :-)