Monday, March 3, 2008

How do you do it?

Beth over at Momformation has a few questions for homeschoolers. I tried to leave a comment on her blog but a popup saying something about Java script effectively told me to screw off.

So I'll comment here and hope she notices the link.


"What made you decide to homeschool?"


Just watching my daughter learn when she was 4. She liked to go into our bathroom and study all the moths that had flown in the open window the previous night. It got me thinking that just maybe sending her to school would get in the way of things like that and I started researching homeschooling and it took off from there.

"How does your child feel about it?"


She, and her brother, are quite happy with it. Like with Amanda's kids, it's simply what they know. I've let my daughter (9) know she has the option of visiting school as a guest if she'd like but she doesn't seem interested. What she's heard from her friends who mostly go to school seems to be partly responsible for that disinterest.

"Do you ever worry that he or she is missing out by not having a traditional classroom experience?"


Not really. There are things they get to experience simply because they are not in that traditional classroom and those things they get to experience are generally of greater importance in our family then the school things they miss.

"I cannot imagine spending all day with him every day."


It's not that big a deal. I've done it from the time they were babies but I know lots of homeschooling moms who brought their kids home from school. Moms are flexible people and can generally adjust pretty well.

"The amount of legwork it would take for me to try to make sure he was socializing enough if he didn’t have school seems astronomical."


If you're trying to imagine making up all the time your child spends with kids in school as a homeschooling mom, I agree. But there's certainly an argument and a lot of experience from homeschoolers that would point out that perhaps kids today spend if not too much time in the company of other kids, certainly a lot more than they really need. My kids have activities and neighbourhood friends that keep them socialized with other kids but it's likely nothing near the amount of time you're imagining. They're well adjusted kids who are popular in their circle of friends and seem to make friends much easier then I (with 13 years of public schooling) ever did.

One last thing...Homeschooling has taught me one important lesson. Don't imagine you can't do something. Don't imagine there are hurdles that would prevent homeschooling from working for you. That's not to say you need to consider it as it certainly sounds like schooling works well for your family just don't even bother with creating obstacles to possible choices. You don't homeschool simply because you don't want to and that's a perfectly solid and valid reason, as good as any of mine for homeschooling. Just don't start assigning yourself failures of the imagination. :D

4 comments:

Andrea R said...

I had to get up at 6am this morning and that's aroudn when parents here get up. the bus goes by at 7:30 and comes back at 4:30. that's too long a day, too early.

my oldest went to shcool for grades 6 & 7. He says homeschooling is much, much better. He's in his 2nd year of college and on the Dean's list.

the rest of the kids (all girls) are glad they've never gone to school.

None of them feel like they've missed out on anything. Really. They all have their own minds

And socialization again?? For pete's sake - kids don't go to school to socialize. :P

I tell people you have to like being around your kids to homeschool. that's why I had kids - to be around them.

Dawn said...

I think socialization is still a new question for so many people though. We probably have to take a deep breath, give them the benefit of the doubt and politely tell them why it isn't an issue.

Andrea R said...

Yeah I know. :D

Gets old after 14 years of saying though. ;P

Anonymous said...

You do such a good job articulating these important points that you're making, Dawn. Funny, I just did a post on how incoherent and disjointed both anti- and pro-homeschooling arguments can be sometimes; but, your thoughts on the subject are always so insightful and well-reasoned. Permission to link?? :)