Wednesday, March 19, 2008

That 8 Things Meme

For some reason I manage not to get tagged for memes and that's something I'm quite happy about. Molytail tagged me for the " 8 things you don't know about me"meme however and so my lucky streak is broken. I like this one though.

1. I take Ritalin. I haven't had a prescription for it in years but started taking it again recently (as well as working at exercise, routine and a good diet) to lay down a good calm foundation for myself and the family rather then subjecting us all the unfocused, impulsive and constantly frustrated terror I can quite often be.

2. I used to work for a right-wing political party! Now keep in mind that this was a Canadian right-wing party so we where still what a Republican would call, "bleeding heart liberals."

3. I don't have a dishwasher or a clothes dryer. This is not because I like it that way.

4. I've got my high school degree and nothing else.

5. I'm a homebody.

6. I like cleaning the toilet. There's no other job in the house that's so fast and makes a bigger difference.

7. I wear a headscarf (an honest-to-goodness headscarf) most days. It's much easier than doing my hear and I get treated so well by people when I go out.

8. I love black licorice but only because I made myself develop a taste for it when I was a kid. Prior to that I couldn't stand it.

8 comments:

molytail said...

So if I get tagged to write a sappy poem with the letters of my name, I should tag you right away, right? LOL

Nah - a lot of the memes kicking around the blogworld (blogosphere??) are pretty silly or ridiculously long and I'm not fond of them either, but this one was kinda fun and it's neat to see what people say about themselves. :-)

On that note, you and I have a few things in common, interestingly enough...

Your #1 - I used to take ritalin as well when I was younger (not a child, it was at the end of my teen years)...I scored weirdly high on a bunch of tests for ADHD that they gave me (and likely still would) but it did odd things to me.. bunch of weightloss (which I liked, I was overweight at the time) and put me in a sort of... hyper-focus mode or something. It was quite strange. Y'know those logic problems? I'd have prolly been able to sit for hours and do nothing but that! LOL

Your #3 - I have a dryer, but I don't have a dishwasher. Wish you lived on the island because I actually have an extra dryer sitting in the basement holding Christmas ornaments inside and as far as I know, it works. Bit hard to mail that to NS though LOL

Your #4 - same here, though it was through the GED program. I didn't graduate - I barely attended any high school and never earned any credits.

Your #5 - yep, pretty much the same way here. I'm not the 'dress up and go out' type.

Your #7 - not a headscarf, but I love those ...oh I don't know what to call them. Let's see if I can find a pic online..

okay, sort of like this:

http://www.alteredcloth.com/images/2007-07-05-headband-1-400.jpg

but mine are wider than that, and thinner looking. :-)

I have long hair and can't do anything with it - I'm so not hairdoing, makeup wearing type - so these are lovely. If I'm not wearing those, then its often in a ponytail or braid.

blech, black licorice. Although I do like the colourful parts of those "allsorts", y'know what I mean? I'll eat around the black stuff. *grin*

molytail said...

oops, that link should end with 1-400.jpg

Dawn said...

I lied about the dryer!!

I actually DO have one. We bought a set a few years ago when we remortgaged to do some work on the house (a few new appliance were the only splurge). The problem is we don't have enough room on the fuse panel for another 220 outlet and never had the $1000 or so it would take to put in a new 200 amp panel.

So I do have beautiful, never-used dryer. Just no place to plug it in! :)

Noodle said...

Okay, so I have to ask . . . WHY did you make yourself develop the taste for black licorice? :)

Dawn said...

Because my dad liked it. I didn't have a lot in common with him (though he's a great dad) and decided this would be something. This is an 8 year old's logic.

Noodle said...

Ah! My dad likes it too. I've taken bites to please him, but I never could make myself like it. :)

Anonymous said...

I take Ritalin too. Have for more than a decade. I have the same impulsive, lack of focus problem, which cost me some jobs in my early 20s. People like to crack on Ritalin, and no medication should be taken lightly or universally, but Ritalin has been a godsend to me. Glad to hear someone else admit they take it as an adult right out loud!

Dawn said...

We're on the same drugs! Yea! :D

I stayed away from it for a long time (the, "I can do this without drugs" thing) but finally tried it again this summer and gee, the house got clean, the kids got into a routine, I ate better and exercised and my mood became even and predictable. Nevermind that I could start sweeping the floor and FINISH sweeping the floor without getting distracted half a dozen times. :)

So I'm back on it now and it's been very good for the whole family. Gald to hear I'm not alone!