Wednesday, May 7, 2008

A Request From My Daughter

Catherine has eagerly started Key to Algebra and was working away at factoring this morning when she asked me this:

"Do you know what I would really like? I'd like a book like The Story of Science but all about math and that I could read myself."

Um. Yes. That would be really neat. Unfortunately I don't think I've seen a book like the around. Certainly The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way itself is pretty heavy on math history. If anybody has any suggestions of non-fiction books that talk about the history of math, please let me know!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know about, Mathematicians are People, Too: Stories from the Lives of Great Mathematicians ?

We have this one; but, there's a second one, too.

Anonymous said...

How Math Works

http://www.amazon.com/How-Math-Works/dp/0762102330/ref=pd_sim_b_title_6

The whole series of How "X" Works is really good. Usually have to buy it used.

Dawn said...

Awesome. You both know how much I love you, right? :D

Anonymous said...

Yes, I know :-) There is also
"Go Figure, A totally cool book about numbers"

http://www.amazon.ca/Figure-Totally-Cool-About-Numbers/dp/0756613744/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210183926&sr=8-2

We really like that one too.

Welcome to Great Goblets! said...

We have the book Everything you need to know about Math homework that has some interesting math info & history - we also have the science one. Good info for an upper elementary/jr. high student. http://www.amazon.com/Everything-Need-Know-About-Homework/dp/043962522X

Anonymous said...

It's not written for chilren and it's very fat and intimidating looking - but there is Mathematics From the Birth of Numbers by Jan Gullberg.