Monday, September 9, 2013

The Obligatory Start-of-the-School Curriculum Lineup

Whoooosh!

Another school year and lots of stuff to plan and do and record. More then ever in fact because I have a high schooler in the house and university to think of. So without further ado, here's the run down.

Catherine, Grade 10

Planning for Catherine was a roller coaster ride this year. I posted some time ago about how we were going to send her off to school for science. Ha ha ha! Didn't happen. Putting a part-time student in an institution designed for full-timers is challenging to say the least.

Mathematics
Geometry 2nd edition, Harold Jacobs. I choose the second edition rather then the third because it's heavier on proofs.

Science
CK-12 Chemistry - Second Edition. I know I had chosen Zumdahl's World of Chemistry and I do have the answer key on my bookshelf but the actual text never arrived so I just decided to cut my losses and go to CK-12.

History
A Brief History of the World. I've abandoned the 4 year history cycle. We're doing a survey course of history this year with supplemental readings.

English
English Composition I. 
Poetry. We'll use the Norton Anthology of Poetry with this.
Assigned readings.

Latin
Lingua Latina

Epistomology
Theory of Knowledge for the IB Diploma.

Study Skills
Study is Hard Work

Other
Fiddle lessons, Home Ec. skills, Art.

Harry, Grade 6

Math
Knowing Mathematics, Singapore Primary Math.

Science
Classic Science, Elementary Chemistry

History
Story of the World 2

English
Grammar Voyage, World of Poetry, assigned readings.

Philosophy
Philosophy for Kids

Other
Piano Lessons, Art, Home ec.




No comments: